Ranging from zero?
- Catch and evolve as many excessive degree/CP Houndour as doable, till you get 6 Houndooms with Snarl/Foul Play (Crunch is appropriate).
Did December 2022 CD?
- Use Hydreigon, and Chandelure if Mewtwo has Focus Blast.
Missed CD however nonetheless need to energy up prime counters?
- Battle Cliff and energy up Shadow Tyranitar. Degree 30 is nice sufficient and doesn't value an excessive amount of. Shadow Weavile and Gholdengo are additionally nice when you have them.
- (Shadow Honchkrow is simply too dangerous towards Mewtwo, however an honest funding typically.)
Different low cost counters: Tyranitar, Weavile, Zoroark, Vikavolt, Gengar. Take a look at our full raid information right here.
Preserve studying for:
- Raid issue estimate
- Movesets for every counter talked about above
- Mewtwo's completely different charged strikes, and the way they assist or damage its counters
- Mega makes use of (Mega Alakazam/Gardevoir allow you to do harm and get XLs on the similar time!)
- Generic anti-psychic rating chart (hyperlinks to a different evaluation)
- How good is Shadow Mewtwo? (hyperlinks to a different evaluation)
- Record of my earlier analyses, in Appendix
Impressed by this comment.
Introduction & Estimated Problem
Shadow Mewtwo will probably be in raids this weekend. Nonetheless… Not solely are they in-person solely, however from what we all know, they'll be very exhausting.
- For context, this can be a bit more durable than Primal Kyogre raids, however simpler than Mega Latias raids, when you have prime counters for all of them.
- Utilizing Purified Gems ought to make the raid simpler in concept, however we've little or no thought how gems even work now. We do know it takes 8 gems – which should be unfold throughout 2 gamers – to subdue a Tier 3 Shadow Raid boss. Shadow Mewtwo may have much more.
Given the in-person nature and issue, for individuals who nonetheless need to do the raids, it turns into essential to arrange the suitable counters.
This information is primarily geared toward new gamers – particularly those that missed December 2022 Neighborhood Day – to construct a crew to counter Mewtwo.
What are the highest Mewtwo counters?
You'll be able to verify your self with our raid information which is listed in rating order. However typically, right here's an inventory of choose non-mega counters:
- Prime tier: Hydreigon*, Shadow Mewtwo* (Shadow Ball), Shadow Tyranitar, Giratina Origin*, Gholdengo, Chandelure, Shadow Weavile, Darkrai
- Mid tier: Shadow Houndoom, Yveltal, Mewtwo* (Shadow Ball), Shadow Pinsir
- Reasonably priced tier: Tyranitar, Weavile, Zarude, Zoroark, Vikavolt, Gengar, Houndoom, Bisharp, Shadow Honchkrow
* Require legacy or unique strikes (Shadow Drive on Giratina-O is nice however not required)
I omitted a couple of counters which are seemingly not value constructing particularly for this. Particularly: Each Hoopa types, Lunala, Shadow Raikou (Shadow Ball), Giratina Altered, Shadow Mismagius, Shadow Absol, Guzzlord, Shadow Alolan Muk, Shadow Alakazam (Shadow Ball).
Ideally, it's best to have no less than 6 of the above, with the suitable moveset (use these TMs!), and energy them as much as a usable degree (no less than Pokémon degree 30, ideally 35-40).
Feeling misplaced? No worries, under is a step-by-step information to determine your counters.
Already did December 2022 CD?
Use these Hydreigon (Chunk/Brutal Swing*) from the CDs. 6 of them should you can.
In the event you don't have sufficient or are afraid of Focus Blast, Chandelure (Hex/Shadow Ball) can be a superb counter. Simply make sure that to not use Poltergeist (both TM it away, or should you don't need to take away a legacy transfer, add a second charged transfer).
When you've got sufficient of them, you may cease studying at this level.
Don't have both? Fret not, maintain studying.
Most accessible: Houndoom, RIGHT NOW
That is the most cost effective choice. Even when you have actually nothing ready now, you may nonetheless get an inexpensive and first rate crew!
Step 1. Catch excessive degree (excessive CP) Houndour from the wild. They're quite common proper now, as Houndour is a featured spawn through the ongoing occasion.
Step 2. Evolve as many excessive degree Houndours as doable, till you get SIX Houndoom (or fewer when you have higher counters to make a crew of 6), with Snarl/Foul Play.
Didn't get the suitable strikes? Use TMs should you can, or simply evolve one other one. In the event you're actually thrifting, Snarl/Crunch is appropriate too.
- Why excessive degree as an alternative of excessive IV? The purpose right here is to get a low cost crew with as little stardust funding as doable. In the event you're not gonna energy them up, a 96% Houndoom at degree 20 is worse than a 53% Houndoom at degree 30 or 35.
- In fact, should you do have a excessive IV Houndoom you could afford to energy up, it's by no means a foul choice. Particularly when Houndoom can mega evolve.
Finest efficiency and nonetheless obtainable: Shadow Tyranitar, Shadow Weavile & Gholdengo
All three are top-tier counters, proper there with Hydreigon. You'll be able to nonetheless get hold of them, simply not as simply and cheaply as Houndoom.
Battle these Cliffs for Shadow Larvitar. Evolve them, and energy them as much as Degree 30 (larger should you'd like, however L30 is already nice.) However most vital of all: Ensure to not use Frustration because the charged transfer!
- When you've got some with Frustration eliminated through the Rocket Takeover occasion in March, good! If not, including a second transfer lets you use it instantly, should you're actually determined.
Shadow Weavile is offered from Tier 3 shadow raids. They could be a bit exhausting to beat by your self (requiring a full crew of fine preventing attackers), however should you occur to have them, they might be value investing much more than Shadow Tyranitar – it's additionally a top-tier Ice attacker.
Gholdengo is, and can seemingly at all times be, obtainable from transferring postcards to Scarlet/Violet. It does take a hell lot of effort, certain, however for those who occur to have one, use it.
- Shadow Tyranitar: Chunk/Crunch
- Shadow Weavile: Snarl/Foul Play (Feint Assault can be superb)
- Gholdengo: Hex/Shadow Ball
The 2 shadows will value fairly a little bit of stardust. Nonetheless, powering up a shadow to L30 is definitely cheaper than powering up a non-shadow from L20 to L40, and offers you a greater attacker. For that reason, I see constructing L30 shadows as a superb funding, and never as costly as folks suppose. You'll be able to at all times energy them up additional as a long-term challenge.
Different reasonably priced counters
Tyranitar, Weavile, Zoroark, Vikavolt, Gengar.
On common, this checklist ranges from higher to worse, and from “normally above Houndoom” to “simply nearly as good as Houndoom”.
You might not have all of them, however typically they're nonetheless comparatively accessible (besides Weavile). Larvitar had a CD Traditional in January, and Gastly, Grubbin and Zorua have been wild spawns this season.
- Between non-shadow and shadow Tyranitar/Weavile, I'd nonetheless counsel L30 shadows. However when you have a non-shadow already constructed, then use it by all means.
- A number of phrases on Gengar: It's a high-risk, high-reward choice, because it's very frail and weak to Mewtwo's Psychic strikes (particularly Confusion and Psychic). There are instances the place it could possibly shine (particularly Focus Blast Mewtwo), however total its common efficiency will get dragged right down to Houndoom ranges.
- Tyranitar: Chunk/Crunch
- Weavile: Snarl/Foul Play (Feint Assault can be superb)
- Zoroark: Snarl/Foul Play
- Vikavole: Bug Chunk/X-Scissor
- Gengar: Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball (Lick is equally nearly as good, however not value an ETM)
Shadow Honchkrow, at present obtainable from Sierra, is an effective anti-Psychic counter typically (a bit under Hydreigon/Shadow Weavile/Shadow Tyranitar)…
However not significantly towards Shadow Mewtwo. Mewtwo's Ice Beam and Thunderbolt each damage theHonchkrow an excessive amount of, and although Focus Blast solely offers impartial harm, Shadow Honchkrow finally ends up getting one-shot anyway.
Shadow Honchkrow does emerge as one of many prime counters if Mewtwo has Psychic or Flamethrower, and can be a superb long-term funding because it's additionally a superb-type attacker. However should you simply need one thing to beat Shadow Mewtwo, its inconsistency drags it down an excessive amount of on common.
Mewtwo's charged strikes – If you would like a extra well-rounded crew…
Discover I maintain emphasizing “on common”. As a result of Mewtwo has an enormous number of charged strikes, the highest counters rely closely on the boss moveset. Every Shadow Mewtwo raid you do might give a totally completely different set of greatest counters!
In the event you can, chances are you'll need to construct a extra well-rounded crew of 6 (and even 12), with a couple of members that don't do too badly no matter what Mewtwo's charged transfer is, particularly Focus Blast. This improves your consistency and assist keep away from some worst-case situations.
Right here's how every of Mewtwo's charged strikes impacts attackers talked about above:
|Psychic Psychic||Hydreigon, Tyranitar, Weavile, Gholdengo, Houndoom, Honchkrow, Zoroark||Gengar|
|Ice Beam Ice||Weavile, Gholdengo, Chandelure, Houndoom||Hydreigon*, Honchkrow|
|Thunderbolt Electrical||Hydreigon, Vikavolt||Honchkrow|
|Flamethower Hearth||Hydreigon, Tyranitar, Chandelure, Houndoom||Weavile, Gholdengo, Vikavolt|
|Focus Blast Preventing||Chandelure, Gholdengo, Gengar||Hydreigon, Tyranitar, Weavile, Houndoom, Honchkrow, Zoroark|
Any mentions of Tyranitar, Weavile and Honchkrow additionally apply to their shadow types. Legendaries are omitted.
* Hydreigon doesn't do too badly towards Ice Beam, regardless of being weak to it.
A really transient point out for the sake of completeness.
- Shadow Mewtwo with Shadow Ball, Darkrai, Giratina Origin are one of the best legendaries on the market. Nonetheless, Hydreigon is healthier than all, and even if you do want a Ghost kind, Chandelure is just not far behind. If I had to decide on, I'd make investments extra in Giratina-O, as it could possibly have a distinct segment over Hydreigon typically (particularly Focus Blast Mewtwo).
- Yveltal is a worse Hydreigon/Darkrai, although it does higher towards Focus Blast.
- Non-shadow Mewtwo with Shadow Ball is a worse Giratina-O, and naturally a worse Shadow Mewtwo.
- Hoopa (each types), Lunala, Pheromosa, Guzzlord, Zarude, Genesect and Giratina Altered are all bizarre flexes, however all of them have various levels of viability.
For greatest efficiency:
- Mega Gengar and Mega Houndoom are one of the best Ghost and Darkish megas respectively, by way of particular person energy. It principally is dependent upon whether or not different gamers are bringing Ghost or Darkish varieties, in addition to Mewtwo's charged strikes.
- Mega Gyarados doesn't have as a lot energy by itself, however its additional bulk contributes extra harm in teams than Mega Houndoom, by retaining the mega increase alive for longer. (See this for charts)
- Mega Banette is a poor man's Mega Gengar.
- Mega Absol is a poor man's Mega Houndoom.
For XL candies: You'll be able to truly get boosted XL candies AND contribute harm on the similar time!
- Mega Alakazam (Psycho Minimize/Shadow Ball) and Mega Gardevoir (Cost Beam/Shadow Ball) can each deal Tremendous Efficient harm to Mewtwo, and in addition share the Psychic typing that will get you improve XL change when catching Mewtwo.
For optimum harm increase in teams:
- Primal Kyogre within the sixth slot is the way in which to go right here. It offers a ten% increase to all different raiders, even with out coming into the sphere. If anybody else is utilizing Bug varieties, even higher – they get 30% increase! (See my Volcarona evaluation for extra.)
- Primal Groudon can do the identical, however it doesn't give the additional increase to Bug varieties.
What about counters towards future psychic-type raid bosses?
Right here's a generic evaluation and chart for Ghost and Darkish attackers (anti-Psychic). It's a part of my most up-to-date evaluation on these varieties, extra particularly, on Gholdengo.
Bug varieties are typically suboptimal, however can excel with Primal Kyogre increase. Extra particulars are lined in my Volcarona evaluation.
How good is Shadow Mewtwo as a raid attacker itself?
I refer you to this in depth evaluation I did on Shadow Mewtwo in January.
Appendix: Previous analyses on different varieties
- Bug: Volcarona, Mega Pinsir and Kleavor
- For one more set of future attackers: Bug Out
- Darkish/Ghost: Gholdengo & DIB Melmetal
- For Tyranitar speculations: Tyranitar CD Traditional
- For Giratina-O comparisons: Shadow Drive Giratina-O
- Dragon: Breaking Swipe Rayquaza
- For full future attackers: Mega Salamence
- Electrical: Reshiram & Zekrom with Fusion strikes
- Mega Mewtwo Y (Thunderbolt) knowledge is mistaken
- For Xurkitree comparability: Bug Out
- Fairy: Togekiss CD
- For full future attackers and detailed fairy-dragon comparisons: Mega Gardevoir
- Preventing: Shadow Mewtwo (Half 2 Terrakion part), with a couple of future and speculative attackers
- For future megas: September GBL replace (Mega Mewtwo X knowledge is mistaken)
- Additionally Galarian birds, Extremely Beasts & Sneasler
- Hearth: Delphox CD
- For extra on Volcarona: Volcarona, Mega Pinsir and Kleavor
- For extra on Shadow Blaziken: Shadow Sceptile & Blaziken
- For extra on Reshiram and Zekrom: Reshiram & Zekrom with Fusion strikes
- Mega Mewtwo Y (Flamethrower) knowledge is mistaken
- For full future attackers: Gen 3 mega starters
- Flying: Staraptor CD
- Grass: Tsareena
- For extra on Shadow Sceptile: Shadow Sceptile & Blaziken
- For full future attackers: Kartana and Gen 3 mega starters
- For Chesnaught-specific plots: Chesnaught CD
- Floor: Mamoswine CD Traditional
- For extra on Groudon: Primal Kyogre & Groudon
- Ice: Mamoswine CD Traditional
- For full future attackers: Kyurem & Mega Glalie
- Mega Mewtwo Y (Ice Beam) knowledge is mistaken
- Psychic: Mega Gardevoir
- For Shadow Mewtwo with IVs: Shadow Mewtwo
- For full future attackers: September replace/Psychic Spectacular
- Mega Mewtwo knowledge is mistaken
- Rock: Volcarona, Mega Pinsir and Kleavor
- For Tyranitar speculations: Tyranitar CD Traditional
- For full future attackers: Gigalith CD
- Metal: Gholdengo & DIB Melmetal
- For full future attackers: Mega Aggron
- Water: Mega Slowbro CD
- For extra on Primal Kyogre: Primal Kyogre & Groudon
- For full future attackers: Gen 3 mega starters
The put up Grasp Information to Defeat Shadow Mewtwo: Put together your Counters! appeared first on Pokémon GO Hub.