TL;DR – Very beneficial, however no must exit of your means for it.
Shadow Garchomp is the #1 non-mega Floor attacker (with CD transfer Earth Energy), and one of many #1 non-mega Dragon attackers. But it surely solely presents a small enchancment for each varieties.
- Floor (with EP): > Shadow Mamoswine and Groudon
- Dragon: Just like Shadow Salamence (very situational), > Shadow Dragonite
- Non-legacy Earthquake can also be nice, however <= Shadow Mamoswine in devoted Floor-type makes use of.
As a Floor kind, when in comparison with competitor varieties you should utilize, Shadow Garchomp nonetheless falls behind different top-tier attackers, however it virtually catches up with different shadows.
- < Terrakion, Reshiram, <= Shadow Swampert
- Approx. ≈ Shadow Machamp, Shadow Moltres?
Total, Shadow Garchomp fulfils very related roles as Shadow Mamoswine (Floor & Ice), with extra energy however much less utilization. L50 Shadow Mamoswine (Ice) additionally ties L40 Shadow Garchomp as anti-Dragon.
It's a fantastic addition, however not a transformative change, and never one thing it is advisable construct 6 of instantly, particularly you probably have Shadow Mamoswines and shadow dragons with greater IVs or stage.
Maintain studying for:
- Floor– and Dragon-type attacker charts
- Comparisons to Shadow Mamoswine (Floor & Ice), Groudon, Shadow Salamence and Shadow Dragonite
- Floor-type Shadow Garchomp in comparison with different varieties
- Transient dialogue on future Mega Garchomp (DO NOT PURIFY!!)
A whole listing of all my previous analyses – on each single kind apart from regular – can now be present in this spreadsheet!
Half 1: Shadow Garchomp as a Floor attacker
[Part 1 TL;DR] Shadow Garchomp with Earth Energy is the very best non-mega Floor attacker, higher than Shadow Mamoswine (typically) and Groudon.
Sadly, it nonetheless falls behind competitor varieties that you could additionally use, however it virtually catches up with different shadows.
Even with Earthquake, Shadow Garchomp remains to be nice, although it's barely behind Shadow Mamoswine for sensible makes use of.
Charts of ASE with and with out dodging are here.
With its Neighborhood Day transfer Earth Energy, Shadow Garchomp is the very best non-“mega” Floor attacker. It's typically higher than Shadow Mamoswine, and outclasses Precipice Blades Groudon.
- Nonetheless nicely under Primal Groudon, however nothing can compete in opposition to that.
- get Earth Energy: Use an Elite Charged TM, or look ahead to a future occasion that grants us Earth Energy upon evolution. We don't know when it is going to happen – it may be years (taking a look at you, Outrage Salamence).
- Detailed comparisons later.
Even with out Earth Energy, Shadow Garchomp remains to be nice with Earthquake!
- The comparability with Shadow Mamoswine will get messier. My vote goes to Shadow Mamoswine (defined later), however EQ Shadow Garchomp remains to be extra constant, on account of higher bulk and typing.
- Nonetheless above Groudon.
- Earth Energy is a mid-tier improve from Earthquake, about 5%.
Do NOT take the Shadow Garchomp – Shadow Mamoswine comparability on this chart at face worth. As a result of…
Downside with Floor varieties…
[Section TL;DR] Each time Floor will not be the one choice, it's worse than others. This additionally makes Shadow Mamoswine appear worse than it really is (for those who solely plan on bringing it out when it's the very best counter), on account of its typing drawback.
That is the third time I'm explaining this, so I'll go away the extra detailed explanations in my earlier articles (Groudon and Mamoswine).
Floor-type attackers (minus Primal Groudon) are the jack of all trades, however grasp of few. They're tremendous efficient in opposition to many varieties and raid bosses, however until you're compelled to make use of Floor, one other attacking kind is usually higher.
When Floor will not be the one choice:
- Floor attackers are worse than some widespread rivals: Combating, Water, Fireplace, Metal, Rock attackers.
- Except it's sunny or another person has Primal Groudon within the sixth slot.
- (Shadow) Mamoswine additionally does notably badly right here on account of a typing drawback. These are often Fireplace, Rock and Metal-type bosses, which may often deal extra injury to Mamoswine than to different Floor varieties.
When Floor is the one choice:
- T5+ Bosses: Raikou, Heatran, Nihilego, Xurkitree, Regieleki.
- Shadow Garchomp (Earth Energy) is often the very best non-mega.
- Shadow Mamoswine not underperforms, as its typing drawback is irrelevant until the boss is Heatran.
Due to this, a well-prepared raider will solely wish to use Floor varieties, Shadow Garchomp included, once they're the one choice – until with climate increase or Primal Groudon increase.
We'll take a look at every of those instances individually (earlier than circling again to pairwise comparisons).
When Floor is the very best (solely) choice
Charts of ASE with and with out dodging are here.
The primary change is that Shadow Mamoswine will get higher, because it not suffers a lot from the typing drawback (other than Heatran raids).
- Now its ASE ties Earthquake Shadow Garchomp, and TTW ties Earth Energy Shadow Garchomp.
- If it wasn't for Heatran and Mega Manectric with Fireplace/Metal strikes, it could have been even higher!
(You may see non-shadow Garchomp underperforming on this state of affairs. Fortunately, Shadow Garchomp don't have to fret about that simply but.)
Floor in comparison with different varieties
[Section TL;DR] Shadow Garchomp remains to be worse than rivals from different varieties, however it virtually catches up with different shadows.
I didn't run new simulations, however listed below are estimates utilizing ER and outdated sims (with PB Groudon).
|Competitor||Boss kind||Shadow Garchomp placement|
|Combating||Metal, Rock||≈ Shadow Machamp, < Terrakion|
|Water||Fireplace, Rock||<= Shadow Swampert|
|Fireplace||Metal||≈ Shadow Moltres, < Reshiram (Fusion Flare)|
|Metal||Rock||<< Shadow Metagross, > Metagross|
Typically, with Earth Energy:
- Shadow Garchomp is nonetheless not the very best counter in impartial climate. Worse than Terrakion, Reshiram, Shadow Swampert, and Shadow Metagross.
- Nevertheless, for those who exclude Terrakion and Reshiram that are each higher than shadows, it will get extra similar to shadows of different varieties (Shadow Machamp, Moltres and Swampert).
- It's doubtless nonetheless under these shadows barely, however I can't say that with actually on account of no simulations information.
This can be a step up from what Floor attackers was once. It means Floor is not lagging far behind its rivals. Nevertheless, it's nonetheless not the #1 non-mega.
A comfort prize is Primal Groudon increase:
- If Participant A within the raid foyer has Primal Groudon, it provides a “everlasting” 30% increase to Fireplace, Floor, and Grass-type injury so long as A hasn't relobbied but, even when Primal Groudon will not be on the sphere.
- This helps the viability of Floor varieties, Shadow Garchomp included. With the “synthetic climate increase”, it's far forward of all rivals apart from Fireplace and Mewtwo.
- But it surely helps lower than you would possibly assume.
- Fireplace can also be boosted by Primal Groudon, so Reshiram > Shadow Garchomp.
- Water will also be boosted by Primal Kyogre (which itself is extra highly effective than Primal Groudon). So Shadow Swampert + Primal Kyogre > Shadow Garchomp + Primal Groudon.
Comparisons: Shadow Garchomp vs. Shadow Mamoswine and Groudon
[TL;DR] For sensible functions, Shadow Garchomp EP >= Shadow Mamoswine >= Shadow Garchomp Eq > Groudon. However that is very nuanced, and will depend on IV and stage.
Shadow Garchomp vs. Shadow Mamoswine is a very nuanced comparability, and there's actually no good reply. My greatest judgment is:
- Shadow Garchomp with Earth Energy > Shadow Mamoswine, largely.
- For sensible functions, Shadow Garchomp with Earthquake <= Shadow Mamoswine.
There are numerous issues. The primary one is:
When Shadow Mamoswine is dangerous, it may be actually dangerous. Nevertheless, most of those “actually dangerous” instances are while you'll wish to use one other kind – as a substitute of Floor – within the first place.
- Reminder: It will rely upon IVs and Pokémon stage.
- For many who are curious how a lot higher Shadow Garchomp is in every state of affairs, listed below are the “distribution plots”: Earth Power, Earthquake.
- FWIW, Shadow Mamoswine has greater theoretical DPS, however Shadow Garchomp (EP) has greater ER on account of higher bulk. (Table)
Shadow Garchomp > Groudon, no matter strikes. That's clear.
Half 2: Shadow Garchomp as a Dragon attacker
[Part 2 TL;DR] One of many high non-mega dragons. Higher than Shadow Dragonite, and really similar to Shadow Salamence.
In comparison with Shadow Mamoswine (Ice), Shadow Garchomp is extra highly effective, however has fewer use instances. Additionally, L50 Shadow Mamoswine catches up with L40 Shadow Garchomp.
Charts of ASE with and with out dodging are here.
Be aware: Kyurem with Glaciate would have carried out equally to most non-shadow non-mega non-Rayquaza dragons, each time Ice can also be tremendous efficient. For extra info, see its personal evaluation.
Shadow Salamence and Shadow Dragonite had been the definition of top-tier (non-mega) Dragon attackers for the reason that shadow increase was launched.
Now, Shadow Garchomp joins the identical league of top-tier shadows, and due to this fact, top-tier non-mega Dragon attackers. Higher than Shadow Dragonite, and similar to – if not higher than – Shadow Salamence.
As soon as once more, do NOT take the Shadow Garchomp – Shadow Salamence comparability on this chart at face worth. We'll take a deeper look proper now…
Comparisons: Shadow Garchomp vs. Shadow Salamence and Shadow Dragonite
[TL;DR] Shadow Garchomp (tank) vs. Shadow Salamence (glass cannon) could be very nuanced, and there's no proper or incorrect reply. Blended foyer doubtless works greatest, and IV/stage will matter. Shadow Garchomp > Shadow Dragonite.
Shadow Garchomp vs. Shadow Salamence (Outrage) is yet one more nuanced comparability.
- Shadow Salamence has greater uncooked energy than Shadow Garchomp.
- Greater DPS and better ER, however decrease TDO (Table)
- The median TTW distinction is about 3% in favor of Salamence.
- Nevertheless, as a result of Shadow Salamence is too glassy, it merely melts in lots of conditions (~8%). Shadow Garchomp is extra constant.
- Notable instances the place Shadow Salamence melts embody: Outrage Zekrom, Stone Edge Reshiram, Outrage Mega Latias, Outrage Regidrago (Elite Tier).
- In these instances, Shadow Salamence typically will get KOed, however Shadow Garchomp (and even non-shadow Salamence!) have further bulk that permit them survive a success. These instances are why I typically say Shadow Salamence underperforms.
- The actual “doomsday” eventualities, Draco Meteor Palkia and Reshiram, really lean in favor of Shadow Salamence – as a result of Shadow Garchomp can't tank them both.
- On the flip facet, if Shadow Salamence survives a Dragon charged transfer (e.g. T5 Regidrago, Dragon Pulse Giratina-O), it once more turns into higher than Shadow Garchomp, probably as a result of Salamence can use a Draco Meteor afterwards.
- Here‘s the distribution plot exhibiting how significantly better every one in every of them is.
Total, I actually can't say which one is best or worse. Should you choose glass cannons at the price of being one-shot by Outrage Zekrom, use Shadow Salamence. If you need consistency or to stop extreme relobbies, use Shadow Garchomp. A combined get together with each will doubtless work greatest.
- For most individuals, the choice will largely come all the way down to IVs and stage (XLs).
Shadow Garchomp vs. Shadow Dragonite is a way more easy comparability: Shadow Garchomp is best, exterior of uncommon instances.
- Shadow Dragonite has related DPS however much less bulk. As such, it often has to depend on typing benefit.
- Nevertheless, the “doomsday” eventualities like Draco Meteor Palkia and Reshiram work out to Dragonite's favor – that is when it spams Dragon Claw, as a substitute of ready for (and failing to make use of) an Outrage.
Shadow Garchomp vs. Shadow Mamoswine (Ice)?
[TL;DR] As anti-dragons, Shadow Garchomp is stronger however Shadow Mamoswine has extra makes use of. L50 Shadow Mamoswine ≈ L40 Shadow Garchomp.
Why are we evaluating a Dragon attacker to an Ice attacker? As a result of each varieties overlap in a single position: Anti-Dragon. That's the solely factor that Dragon attackers do, however Ice varieties tackle further duties like anti- (and anti-Rayquaza), although they'll't deal with Palkia and Reshiram.
Each time each can be utilized, Shadow Garchomp is stronger than Shadow Mamoswine.
Nevertheless, Shadow Mamoswine (Ice) has extra utility, because it handles extra bosses.
- Whereas Ice loses out on Palkia and Reshiram, it takes on greater than half a dozen bosses, particularly Rayquaza and Landorus-T.
- In my Kyurem evaluation, I made an in depth table exhibiting Ice and Dragon‘s use instances. The Mamoswine evaluation additionally notes how (Shadow) Mamoswine compares to different attackers in every case.
As well as, L50 Shadow Mamoswine is much like L40 Shadow Garchomp. So for those who've already constructed L50 Shadow Mamos, they'll deal with the Dragon bosses equally nicely until you additionally XL your Shadow Garchomps.
Mega Garchomp sooner or later?
As each Floor and Dragon attackers, Mega Garchomp can be a lot stronger than Shadow Garchomp in particular person energy. Nevertheless, it is going to be weaker than mega legendaries (Primal Groudon, and Mega Rayquaza if it solely will get a 3% nerf).
However as soon as once more, DO NOT PURIFY until you actually know what you're doing. Though shadows can't mega evolve, you'll be able to run each a mega and a shadow (or 5 shadows) on the similar time. You can too simply mega evolve a daily Garchomp as a substitute of a purified one, and IVs make little or no distinction in that.
I've made a number of plots exhibiting Mega Garchomp earlier than:
- Ground-type charts, as a part of the Mamoswine evaluation
- Dragon-type charts, as a part of the Mega Salamence evaluation (Rayquaza on this chart has 9% nerf, so it is going to be a lot stronger if it finally ends up solely getting 3% nerf)
Verdict and Abstract
In each its varieties, Shadow Garchomp presents a small improve from present choices. That's sufficient for it to be the #1 non-mega Floor and one of many #1 non-mega Dragon. Nevertheless, that is not a transformative change, and Shadow Garchomp as a Floor kind stays behind competitor varieties until Floor is the one choice.
When each power and utility are thought of, Shadow Garchomp is a extra highly effective however much less helpful Shadow Mamoswine. This is applicable to each their roles as Floor attackers and anti-Dragon attackers.
Whereas Shadow Garchomp can be a really beneficial addition to anybody's raid groups, you don't must exit of your means for it. Most individuals who care that a lot about raid groups in all probability have one or a number of Shadow Mamoswine and Dragonite/Salamence by now, with higher IVs than they'll get for Shadow Garchomps. Mixed, they do virtually all the pieces that Shadow Garchomp does. Particularly in case your Shadow Mamoswine(s) are XL'ed.
It will particularly be true if Shadow Gible turns into uncommon… And I've a hunch it is going to be. (At the moment, Shadow Dratini is just accessible from lower than 1% of all Rocket grunts.)
Ought to I take advantage of an Elite TM for Earth Energy? My private opinion: Provided that it has good IVs. The distinction between Shadow Garchomp and Shadow Mamoswine is sufficiently small that at one thing like 5/5/5, Shadow Garchomp will doubtless fall behind on the similar Pokemon stage. To not point out Swinub XLs are extra accessible than Gible XLs.
- In contrast to Shadow Metagross and Shadow Tyranitar (Darkish), this isn't precisely a case the place “even a 0% shadow is value it”, on account of alternate options being extra accessible and nearer in efficiency.
- For shadows, you don't want loopy IVs like 96% – I actually often preserve 3* shadows, or 70% with excessive assault, till I get higher ones.
The submit Shadow Garchomp as a Raid Attacker: An upgraded however specialised Shadow Mamoswine appeared first on Pokémon GO Hub.